By Michelle Martin and Hope Komarynsky
Is there any reason to have hope going into 2021? After 2020, many of us are weary and unsettled. No one has remained unaffected. Understandably, our foundation feels a tad off-balance. Usually, history helps us expect what’s ahead, but THIS new year seems different.
To declare 2020 emotionally, relationally, spiritually, financially challenging is the understatement of …of, well,…of 2020!
When you celebrated the impending New Year on December 31, 2019, did you have any idea what was waiting for you a few squares down the calendar? None of us could have.
There is no doubt; we’ve all experienced significant loss. As Christians, we grieve our losses but not like those that have no hope (1 Thessalonians 4:13).
However, where do we find that hope amidst such bleak times? Where and how does hope begin its renewal?
And the God of all grace Who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered for a little while, will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 1 Peter 5:10
We are all ready for a new beginning with its fresh anticipation, and a steadfast and restored hope.
This hope is vital. It’s a necessity, and it’s available. God never leaves us without it. He is the God of Hope. He longs to fill us with joyful hope–so generously that it overflows to others.
So, where is that “starting place”? While the chaos swirls, how do we find that firm foundation from which to map out the path forward?
I have put together a few steps that might help bring some clarity and balance as you begin your journey into 2021.
1. Ask yourself, “How am I…really?” Perhaps this includes a conversation with a trusted and caring person that will listen and be able to create a safe, relaxed space for your heart. Conversations like this can be clarifying and bring a sense of awareness, stability and peace.
2. Have an intentional conversation with others that are part of or impact your life forward. Ask them how they are….really. Then, listen closely to both what is said and not said. Ask gentle questions and listen with your heart.
3. Take an inventory emotionally, relationally, spiritually and financially of where you are and where you see opportunities for growth, improvement and change.
4. Create a timeline to achieve those goals during 2021. Goals without a detailed plan with achievable steps are hardly more than transient wishes.
5. Build encouragement, accountability and wise counsel into your 2021 plans to ensure success.
Click on this link to download an assessment that will help you see what areas of your life might need attention: what’s going well and what are some changes that need to take place. Acquiring balance in life creates a strong footing to accomplish your next steps.
At HopeNet, we believe that each person has a God-given plan filled with hope for their future. Please know you are not alone as you begin and carry out this process. Together is always better. We are never out of hope’s reach.
Out of difficulties, miracles can grow!
Schedule a free and confidential intake interview to determine whether coaching or counseling is the best way HopeNet can support you during 2021. Both coaching and counseling at HopeNet are offered with a sliding scale fee according to your income. It can be more affordable than you might imagine. Its payoff may also be more valuable than you might imagine. The investment you make in 2021 is an investment into your future, perhaps the rest of your life. The benefit may continue for generations to come.